This week we sit down with Doug Bowen, owner of Alaska Boats and Permits, to discuss his business of brokering vessels, IFQ, and limited entry fishing permits. We cover:
- The "Greying of the Fleet" and its causes
- How his business ebbs and flows with the commercial fishing industry
- An in-depth analysis of the halibut and black cod IFQ markets
- How the farmed salmon industry crushed the value of boats and permits in the early 2000s
- How vessel demand is impacted by the performance of the fisheries
- How he and his wife came to Homer from California after the Marine Corps in 1984
Chewing the Fat with Alex and JJ (0:56)
Spoonful of Medicine with SPH - Anna Hermanson (11:19)
Interview with Doug Bowen (17:09)
No office hours this week and no episode on Christmas!
The Alaska Show is going live on February 10th!